No, it’s not sweet potato mashed potatoes, it’s Dolce Potato Mash and it only takes one Friends episode to make.This particular recipe serves 8, so tell that ninth friend to spend his Thanksgiving somewhere else.
Anyway, between passively watching football and catching up with correspondence (just a euphemism for procrastinating), run down to your nearest Trader Joe’s or Associated or Gristede’s for the following ingredients:
- 3 pounds of sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into symmetrical 1″ by 1″ cubes (or chunks in an assortment of sizes)
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 banana, sliced
- 1 orange, zested and juiced
- 1 cup of chicken broth
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of grated nutmeg (opt., aka only if you’re feeling fancy)
- Salt and pepper
And here we go.
- Boil potatoes until as tender as a first kiss. Drain and reserve.
- Return the pot to the stove top over medium heat.
- Add butter and bananas into the pot.
- Cook bananas for 5 minutes before adding the orange juice to the pot, reserve the zest.
- Allow the juice to cook out (this typically takes 1 minute).
- Add potatoes to the pot, as well as the stock and sugar.
- Mash potatoes, banana, stock, and sugar together until more combined than the Boleyn blood line.
- Season with nutmeg, salt, pepper, and orange zest, to your ultra-refined taste.
- Mash to combine spices.
There you have it, your first Friendsgiving dish! Hope you enjoyed this recipe (discovered a la Food Network), and stay tuned for more posts!