Since Thanksgiving is around the corner, I thought I’d introduce the microwave version of my favorite Thanksgiving dessert. All you need is six ingredients and about fifteen minutes. It’s easy, delicious, and fast, and it makes just enough for one satisfying serving, unless you want seconds.
2 tablespoons quick oats
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon melted, unsalted butter
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Optional: A nice heaping of whipped cream or ice cream! It tastes so much better with cream!
1. Peel the apple. Core it, then slice it thinly. This will be your filling!
2. Mix the rest of your ingredients (quick oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and butter) in a mixing bowl.
3. Put your apple slices in a microwave-safe mug. Make sure your mug is big enough that the apples fill less than half-way. A bowl works too! (The apple slices will have shrunk by the end, but you don’t want them to go over the edge of the cup while they’re cooking.) Cover it, and microwave for 30 seconds.
4. Spoon your oat mixture over the top. Try to make it even. Now microwave for a full minute.
5. Let it sit for a few seconds so it doesn’t bubble over the edge of the mug, then microwave for another 30 seconds. Repeat once more. Now you’re done! Once it’s cooled, you can dig in! Doesn’t that smell delicious?