Craving something sweet? Want something you can easily bring to a group hangout and share? Not very confident of your cooking ability? How do you feel about Peanut brittle?
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup light-colored corn syrup
3/4 cup cup coarsely chopped toasted almonds (or a nut of your choice)
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1. Line a pan with parchment paper.
2. Mix the sugar and syrup in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on high for around 3 minutes, depending on your microwave. When the mixture is clear and bubbly, remove.
3. Stir in the almonds or nut of your choice.
4. Microwave on high for about another minute. Stir. Repeat this three times, or until your mixture is the color of light caramel.
5. Stir in butter, vanilla, and salt.
6. Microwave on high for 90 seconds, or until your brittle mixture looks like chunky peanut butter. Then add the baking soda, and stir until everything is foamy.
7. Immediately pour the contents of your bowl onto the pan you prepared in step 1.
8. Spread it so it’s about 1/4 inches thick. Leave it alone for half an hour to cool and harden. Then break it into pieces.
Now you’re done! Break your brittle slab into pieces, and if you store it in an airtight container, like a ziploc bag, it should stay yummy for a week. Enjoy! And share with friends. This should make enough for a dozen of your friends. Or less, if you all eat like I do.